Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Great Minnesota Get Together, Part 2

Last time I told you about the first three places that we visited at the Minnesota State Fair, the Pronto Pup stand, the cheese curds and one of the mini donut vendors. Now I will move on to our next three stops.

We had already had a deep fried hot dog, deep fried cheese and deep fried dough, so it was time for something NOT deep fried. It was a fairly warm day so Joan and I decided to split a cup of Sadie’s Homemade Ice Cream. Here’s the stand that we stopped at:

Even though the name of the place says ice cream, if you look carefully in the top left of this picture, you will see the words “Frozen Custard” there. We received a large, super creamy and smooth cup of vanilla frozen custard:
Now, I’ve mentioned frozen custard before and again this stuff was very good, but still not up to par with my favorite place in Milwaukee (a review of that will be coming soon). This was the perfect cool treat in the middle of the day and got us going again.

It was a while before we needed any more to eat. Then again when you’re at the fair, the fact that you actually NEED food has little to do with when you actually eat. Earlier in the day we saw a concert by the 34th Infantry “Red Bull” Band and I was introduced to a Minnesota term that I was not familiar with. The band played an original piece composed by one of the band members entitled “The Hot Dish Mambo.” I had never heard the term “hotdish.” Not to say I had never eaten them before, in Ohio we just called them casseroles. The reason I mention this is because as we were strolling around we saw this interesting stand:
Now one of the things you should remember about the Minnesota State Fair (and really to a great extent, any fair) is that they put as many foods on sticks as they can. It’s a point of pride in Minnesota to put EVERYTHING on a stick. In fact, as we paid the parking attendant he said to us, “Thank you, enjoy your foods on sticks.” So, how in the heck do you put a casserole (or hotdish) on a stick? Well we had to order one and find out. Here’s what they gave us:
What you have there is alternating meatballs and tater tots (the meat and starch from the hotdish) on a stick. They are then battered and deep fried (of course, it’s the law). Then it is served with a side of cream of mushroom soup with hamburger mixed in. That’s the sauce from the hotdish. In all, it was not outstanding but acceptable and very creative. This was probably the most creative thing that I ate all day and it tied in great with the “Hot Dish Mambo” that we heard earlier in the day.

I will finish this installment with one of the simplest and most delicious things I ate all day. We were strolling down the street when I saw a sign in the distance. Now Joan says that once I saw this sign I was “gone.” She couldn’t talk to me, she couldn’t get my attention, I was completely transfixed on the booth. What could pull me in so completely? This sign:
What could be better than bacon? I’ll tell you what, big, fat bacon. They sold you just what it sounds like, a big fat piece of bacon on a stick. Do you want to see what they gave me? Do you? I know you do, because everyone loves bacon. Here it is:
This was wonderfully delicious peppered bacon on a stick. It is very, very simple but so worth picking up. Probably the best tasting thing I ate all day. Now I said that everyone loves bacon. Well not everyone. This last picture for the day is for Joan’s friend Shannon who said the day before at the cabin that she really wasn’t into the bacon so much. Well this is what the workers at the “Big Fat Bacon” stand were wearing:
If you can’t read the small print it says “either you love bacon or you’re wrong.” So, sorry Shannon, I guess that’s the proof that you’re wrong.

Next up will be part three of our trip to the Minnesota State Fair.
Until next time,
Mike

The Particulars
Minnesota State Fair
Location:
1265 North Snelling Avenue N, St. Paul, MN
Date of Visit: August 29, 2011
Time of Visit: All Day Long
Has It Been on TV?: Probably on local TV News broadcasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment